Coconut Diet Background
Coconuts are not merely tropical fruits or big oval brown blobs which make some palm trees look beautiful. Coconuts, besides being an element of trade are also most importantly, a way of life for Millions of people residing in tropical regions today. It has been accurately observed by scientists today that the traditional populations residing in tropical areas are seldom overweight and have been free from diseases that have currently taken a toll on the western civilizations. Wonder why? Well, believe it or not, it’s the traditional health benefits and special nutrients and fats provided by the coconut fruit.
Coconut Diet Basics
The coconut diet is truly based on the special nutrients and fats provided by pure coconut oil, which is consumed by tropical populations in high proportions, because of which they rarely are prone to problems regarding weight gain and are free from various chronic diseases afflicting the west.
The coconut diet does not provide specific diet plan for weight loss, it is in itself a way of life. The coconut diet doesn’t specify on which foods to eat, how to count calories or carbs, it involves minimal change in your lifestyle, but this minimal change should become the person’s lifestyle. The diet involves replacing highly refined harmful fats, which are known to cause diseases to man, with the healthiest and purest oil on earth: coconut oil!
The other diets focused on weight loss list down a rigorous diet plan to follow, religiously. But what happens when you stop following the diet plan? You start losing weight. The same is not true for the coconut diet until and unless you stop using coconut oil and take to the harmful transfatty acids found in vegetable oils. The principles of the coconut diet can also be incorporated into other major diet plans.
Now, what is the science behind such a diet?
As stated by the creators of this diet, coconut oil contains fats which have a different metabolism mechanism. These fats are instantly broken down for energy rather than being stored in the body. Besides, such fats increase metabolism, improve thyroid function and reduce digestive problems and also cater to blood sugar imbalance.
There are 4 major phases of the diet:
Phase 1: The 21 day Weight Loss Kick Off
Based primarily on lean proteins and vegetables, this phase involves eating 3 meals and 2 snacks daily. Most fruits, grains and sweets are off the plate. At the end of the initial 21 days, one can expect to shed atleast 10 pounds.
Phase 2: Cleansing
This phase involves the usage of a variety of cleansing drinks which are vegetable and fiber based and are known to purify the internal organs especially the colon.
Phase 3: Healthy carbs
During this phase, you’ll be required to consume whole grains and some fruits besides very minimal quantities of starchy vegetables.
Phase 4: Maintenance
Once the goal weight has been achieved, this phase requires you to maintain weight loss. Although stuff like sweets, certain fruits and alcohol have to be strictly off the chart, this phase accommodates an increase in the consumption of allowed foods.
The coconut diet involves having 3 full tablespoons of coconut oil in each phase of the diet on a daily basis. Moreover, the diet also suggests certain ways to use coconut oil in salads, smoothies and various types of sauce as well. The sample diet plan consists of eggs, green vegetables, a few nuts, fish, brown rice, goat cheese and salads. Everything is cooked in coconut oil and salads are dressed in coconut ranch dressing.
The coconut diet advices its dieters to exercise daily for up to 15 minutes at the least, be it aerobic exercises or resistance training. Such exercises when incorporated with the coconut diet help to increase health and reduce weight while improving on vitality.
Coconut Diet Sample Meal Plan
Eggs and bacon with vegetables sautéed in coconut oil
6 Macadamia nuts
Spinach salad with pine nuts and avocado
Celery and goat cheese
Salad with coconut ranch dressing
Grilled fish with brown rice
12 raw almonds
Costs and Expenses
If you want to closely follow the Coconut Diet, you can purchase the hard copy or paperback of the same from Amazon.com at $13.95. Besides the book, daily intake of coconut oil will cost you around $10 weekly and as far as grains and veggies are concerned, a combined sum of $10 more dollars weekly would be sufficient. Coconut diet is a very cost effective diet known to yield results on a long term basis.
- Coconut increases the metabolism and helps people suffering from Thyroid and Obesity problems. It also balances blood sugar levels and also protects heart cells from any damage.
- Coconut contains lauric acids and monoglycerides which improve the immune system and helps people with viral infections, Thyroid dysfunction and chronic fatigue syndrome as well.
- Coconut oil helps to reduce the degree of symptoms of menopause and pre menstrual syndrome in women.
- Coconut oil is not known to raise the cholesterol level. It has been proven by studies that people consuming coconut oil have low cholesterol level as compared to people who don’t.
- Coconut oil also encourages high intake of proteins, fruits and vegetables.
- Moreover, coconut oil, as compared to vegetable oils doesn’t become rancid even if it’s left at room temperature for a year!
- Coconut diet is utterly complex and restrictive. In the first phase, the diet has to be carbohydrates free, which means a denial of energy producing component!
- The recommended foods and various recipes are not very easy to prepare and thus people think of it as a hassle.
- If you’re following the Coconut Diet, you’ll find it difficult to eat out
- The sample diet can prove to be a little heavy on the pocket and difficult to find.
- The phase 2 of the diet is awfully low on important calories thus inducing hunger at untimely intervals and an inability to perform activities high on energy.
This diet is not suitable for people low on motivation as its very restrictive and complex in nature. It’s best suitable for people high on motivation, who suffer from chronic illnesses and who’ll easy give up alcohol, caffeine, sugar, dairy products and all the edible luxuries. Such people should not find a hassle with cooking at home as the diet is all about home cooked food, high in nutrients and coconut oil. Taking to such an extreme approach is exceedingly questionable as a lot of other diets, far less restrictive, are known to deliver results.
The Coconut Diet: The Secret Ingredient That Helps You Lose Weight While You Eat Your Favorite Foods
By Cherie Calborn, John Calborn.
The Coconut Oil Miracle
By Bruce Fife, Jon K. Kabara.